Do you consider yourself ‘normal?’ Are you striving to fit in and be like everyone else? Do you follow trends and the latest fads so you can be like others, have what they have? The tyranny of the word ‘normal’ is conformity.
I have never been able to compromise well. I experience great unhappiness when I am not being true to myself or to others. I resent censoring the things I want and need in my life to make me happy in order to try and make someone else happy. In the end it really doesn't make them happy either.
We all want to belong and feel loved and accepted. From a young age we learn through punishment and reward to behave in a way that will elicit the acceptance, love and security we desire.
But, conformity is really a subversive pattern of societal behaviour. It is how we maintain control, structure, and safety within the context of family, culture, community, country, as well as within our own personal lives.
By becoming the same as others we hope to belong, feel closer, become equal, create strength, and somehow diminish the danger of isolation and separation. But conformity brings out the worst in everyone. It is risk-free, challenge-free, easy. It lessens our self-worth, our tolerance, imagination and creativity.
Conformity is a compromise within ourselves. Fear of confrontation, of standing out, of being criticized for being different, of showing our true power, is what keeps people from speaking out about things that outrage them, or about things in which they believe. Conformity is what induces kids to cruelly tease and ridicule other kids … what incites mobs … what seduces people to blindly subscribe to the latest fads and unhealthy practices like smoking and drinking. Conformity is what allows advertising to work so broadly and effectively.
Conformity creates and fosters prejudice and narrow-mindedness and inhibits our ability to think for ourselves. We blindly follow others. Conformity stops us from being brilliant or talented and surpassing others. Conformity suppresses our souls.
Nelson Mandela once said “our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, “who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be! Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.”
We need to stop teaching and encouraging our children to conform. From an early age we need to show them that being an individual is something of which they can be proud. Individuality is something that brings out the best in each of us and gives us each something unique to contribute.
Those who maintain the status quo, who ‘fit in’ and belong, have never been the ones that have made any real difference in the world. It is the curious, the adventurous, and the open-minded who first discover new horizons. Individuals who have marched to the tune of their own drummer, artists, pioneers and inventors who have the courage to be different and have the strength to follow their convictions, these are the people who makes life richer and more vibrant for us all.
In the past I have been described as ‘an electric eel in a bowl of goldfish.” I happily agree. My soul purpose is to help people gain expanded perspectives and think in a different way by challenging their present reality. While we are all part of a collective consciousness, our individual contribution comes from our uniqueness, not our sameness. Your unique contribution is what expands universal consciousness.
If your own life seems unrewarding, dull, colourless, or hollow, see this as a clue that you are compromising and suppressing who you truly are. Stop living with the brakes on! It may be safe, but there is very little growth and even less joy.
Life becomes meaningless when you hold back from being the extraordinary person you are. Your self esteem lessens when you play it safe and don't share your gifts. Boredom sets in when you opt for security and stop seeking adventure and growth. You come to believe you are less than you truly are.
Step out of the mold. Try even one of these steps toward living life more richly as a radical, juicy individual:
- Be magnificent! When you see yourself in the mirror each morning, exclaim “I am marvelous!” It will make you laugh AND feel good about yourself!
- Embrace the unknown. Deliberately do something each day that you've never done before. Try a new food. Take a different work route to work. Talk to a stranger. Explore a new concept or idea.
- Stop caring what others will think. What others thing about you is none of your business. It is only a perception, filtered through their own lens. It isn't reality.
- Do something alone. Discover your own companionship. Be your own entertainment. It tends to stretch you beyond your own boundaries. It's okay to take along a sketch book or journal, a book, camera, or hiking shoes. It can make you become more fascinating to others!
- Stop being a fake. Don't be what you THINK you should be. Be what you want to be. Live for yourself, not the world.
- Take risks. Even love is a risk.
- Discover your real self. Make a list of all your qualities. Title it “Attributes”. Then make another list citing your flaws and weak areas. Title it Idiosyncrasies.” Notice from this perspective how your flaws become unique and interesting qualities. Look how unique you are!
- Live ONLY your own life. And stop telling others how to live their lives! (That includes your adult children!) Respect yourself. Respect others. We each have a right to our own path. There is no wrong path. Ever.
- Think for yourself. Use your intuition. Ask questions. Trust your own intelligence. Break away from societal structures that tell you what to think, what to believe, and how to act. Find your own personal truth by exploring other countries, cultures, philosophies. Then reflect that truth within your own life. In this way you teach your children to be individuals and think for themselves, as well. ~
These Enlightened Feelings living flower frequencies can help you to create positive shifts toward self empowerment and individuality...
We offer 2-day express shipping throughout the USA, and 1-6 day shipping throughout Canada